[Samba] S4 DC S3 file server: samba-tool and net ads user problems

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Thu Aug 16 11:32:16 MDT 2012

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a S4 DC with a S3 fileserver. I want to create users and their
> UninxHomeDirecory on the fileserver. I can do this with a script which
> uses ldapmodify. Fine so far.
>
> The user shows in getent passwd on the DC and in wbinfo -u on the S3
> box but does not show in getent passwd on the fileserver. The user has
> been created with all his rfc2307 attributes but is invisible to
> winbind on the S3 box.
>
> I have tried restarting winbind on the S3 box but still no luck. Is
> there a cache I must clear somewhere?
>
> How can I get new users to show on the S3 box?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
Hi,

I'm not sure I've understand your situation, so please correct me if I'm
wrong. You have 3 computers:

1. Samba4 (everything work to the amount permitted by its winbind
implementation)
2. Samba3 (everything works, including having homedirs and shells
obtained via winbind from AD)
3. Samba3 (where do you intend to have home directories, and could not
list users)

If that is the situation you could simply copy the config from second
box to third one, and add a [homes] share and everything should work.

If not, in a previous e-mail of you've already wrote the samba config
needed for having a working winbind with idmap_ad. On think I've learned
the hard way: if any of the gidNumbers of a group a user belongs to is
out of the range you've specified in your smb.conf for your domain that
user is going to be invisible (I've avoided it with a range = 0-10000000).

If you have winbind installed by package I would try to delete
/var/lib/samba/winbind* (WHILE winbind IS STOPED), and then reatart it.

Regards

Geza Gemes