[Samba] Samba4 DC with Samba3 file-server howto

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 15 11:24:35 MDT 2012

On 15/08/12 17:47, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Samba4 DC (hh30.hh3.site, 192.168.1.30) and a Samba3 VM on
>> the same box (hh33.hh3.site, 192.168.1.33).
>>
>> How do I tell XP and 7 clients to look at the S4 DC for authentication
>> and the S3 fileserver for files?
>>
>> It already does the authentication bit OK. It's mainly the second part
>> of the question as to how to instruct the m$ boxes to look at the
>> file-server rather than the DC for files.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
> Hi,
>
> It depends on what you mean by having to look at.
>
> On way is to write some logon scripts, by which they would map the
> shares as drives (of course that suppose to have the Samba3 boxes joined
> to the AD of Samba4). If you intend to share some home directories, then
> create the home share on Samba3 and specify the homepath for each user
> as \\samba3servershostname\%USERNAME% and a homedrive according to your
> taste (I had chosen U: (about 10 years ago (Samba 2.2.something))). If
> you want to redirect some folders (e.g. Documents, Desktop, etc.) you
> can do that by firing up the group policy editor and specifying the
> redirects there.
>
> Regards
>
> Geza

Hi Geza
Thanks for the clue.

I specified
homeDrive: Z:
homeDirectory: \\hh32\home\user
profilePath: \\hh32\profiles\user

Is that what you mean? If so, it works.

That's great for users, but Administrator can't access the shares. He
always gets a logon prompt. Even with the correct username and password
he still cannot access any share on \\hh32

Anyway, great news for the users. Need to get Administrator sorted out.
Cheers and thanks again,
Steve