[Samba] Samba4: rfc2307 compatibility with Samba3

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Aug 14 15:15:35 MDT 2012

On 12/08/12 17:45, Gémes Géza wrote:

>> Hi Geza, hi everyone
>> OK, conclusion.
>>
>> I have a single box with s4 DC. The same same box with a Vbox guest
>> running S3.6, and NFS. The S4 DC becomes a NFS client when I mount the
>> shares from the Vbox guest on it. I create users and their home
>> directories on the DC. Files are served from the S3 Vbox guest. The DC
>> has no shares apart from [global], [netlogon] and [sysvol]. The s3
>> guest carries all the shares I would normally add after the 3 default
>> DC shares. Instead of using the hostname of the DC when I mount shares
>> on remote clients, I use the hostname of the S3 Guest.
>>
>> How am I doing so far?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
> Hi,
>
> IMHO what you've written could be a short HOWTO for using Samba4 in a
> network (maybe just without virtualbox part ;-) ). If this is more than
> a test setup I would recommend using Xen or KVM for virtualisation (My
> production boxes run on top of Xen for about 6 years, and at home I use
> KVM (for running test setups) (was easier to set up on a Desktop
> machine), (used Virtualbox before (didn't have hardware support for KVM))).

Hi Geza, hi everyone

Thanks. Praise indeed coming from a dev of your status:) I'd still like
to see s3fs cope with file serving on the DC itself, as it's sooo much
easier to setup.

What is wrong with Vbox? Is Xen any smaller or faster? Our DC has only
2GB RAM. Running a VM on top of is already asking a lot of it. Also we
have rpm's for host and guest out of the box on openSUSE. Can you take
snapshots on Xen like on Vbox and roll back when you screw up?

On the NFS side of affairs I see it is impossible to create a group rw
NFS4 share from a 0022 umask. The NFS devs seem unwilling or unable to
do anything about it. Meanwhile the NFS3 Kerberos backport works well
enough. Any ideas? A separate partition with a 0002 umask. Can I do that
on the same disk?

Cheers,
Steve