[Samba] Update SAMBA 3.x PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 13 15:19:32 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 15:56 +0200, Peer-Joachim Koch wrote:
> --------------ms080708010902000507060902
>
> Hi,
>
> we are currently planing to update our samba 3.3.X pdc.
> When we install new RPM's (3.6.7 or so) - is it possible to
> go back, if something is not working as expected ?
>
> All user account information are stored in our LDAP.
> So would it be enough to stop everything at the PDC and
> backup everything under /var/lib/samba ?
>
> Or will be the user accounts (ldap) be updated, too ?

No, we don't generally write information automatically to ldap, except
when accounts are changed, and I don't think the ldap schema or our
interpretation of it has changed between 3.3 and 3.6.

Backups are already advised, but remote LDAP is generally left alone
when we can.  You are correct that the situation with our tdb files that
we may walk over and upgrade at first start is different, and you should
back those up.

Andrew Bartlett