[Samba] Samba4: rfc2307 compatibility with Samba3

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Aug 12 08:26:30 MDT 2012

On 12/08/12 15:28, Gémes Géza wrote:

>>> I would rather advertise a narrower, known to work set of functionality
>>> than to promise broader features than we know works well in production
>>> experience.
>>>
>>> In particular, we know about the limitations that Steve mentions, and we
>>> know the workaround:  don't mix the file server and AD DC.
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>>>

>> Hi
>> Does this mean having one Samba4 machine as the DC and another Samba4
>> (e.g. Vbox) machine joined to it as a member to act as fileserver?
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
> If you don't want to use the second box interactively yes, if you intend
> to login there, or have home directories served from there better
> install Samba3.6 on it.
>
> Regards
>
> Geza

Hi Geza, hi everyone
OK, conclusion.

I have a single box with s4 DC. The same same box with a Vbox guest
running S3.6, and NFS. The S4 DC becomes a NFS client when I mount the
shares from the Vbox guest on it. I create users and their home
directories on the DC. Files are served from the S3 Vbox guest. The DC
has no shares apart from [global], [netlogon] and [sysvol]. The s3 guest
carries all the shares I would normally add after the 3 default DC
shares. Instead of using the hostname of the DC when I mount shares on
remote clients, I use the hostname of the S3 Guest.

How am I doing so far?

Cheers,
Steve