[Samba] samber server in openvz container - venet oder veth0?

Birgit Berger (UV Wien) birgit.berger at oeh.univie.ac.at
Fri Aug 10 13:49:08 MDT 2012

thank you for your responses!

gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com schreibt:

>If you don't use WINS, and you are trying to log into the domain, the
>client will broadcast for a DC server.   This normally works OK if
>everything is on the same LAN.   If broadcast doesn't work, the using
>WINS helps find the DC's-  since the WINS database on the WINS server
>includes name-to-ip entries for DC's as well as hosts.

everything is on the same subnet. with WINS everything works fine as I
already wrote. I just got the recommendation to not use WINS in the former
answers to this thread. I'd love to hear from a guy or woman who has the
same setup as I have what they do. My setup, that is samba 3.5.6 server in
an openvz container (virtual machine) on a debian squeeze host system. the
openvz container uses venet which means broadcasting doesn't work in
venet. Do you guys use WINS too (indicate it in very windows client in
TCP/IP settings?) or do you use veth instead of venet (so not to use WINS)
or what do you guys and girls do?

>For simpler things like connecting to network shares , Windows clients
>can use dns to find machine names.   So if you want to map a user drive
>(e.g.     net use R: \\someserver\someshare) this should work fine with
>out wins.  Afterall, the client is doing all the name resolution.  This
>is supposing of course that the servers IP name and netbios name are the
>same.

exactly. it does.

>however, in practice there does seem to be a server side issue.    I
>have several samba servers and I ran into the following problem:
>from a VPN client, I could use "net use \\server1_hostname" and "net use
>\\server2_hostname" to connect to shared resources.  I could NOT use
>"net use \\server3_hostname."  VPN clients did not use WINS, and NETBIOS
>broadcasts were blocked for VPN clients, even tho the VPN client
>appeared to be on the same subnet.    VPN clients could resolve host
>names via DNS.  They could even connect with  "net use
>\\server3_IP_address."  Packet captures showed that the clients were in
>fact reaching server3_hostname but that server3  would not respond.
>The server should NOT be attempting to resolve the client names but, for
>some reason, it was.

I don't use VPN, so this doesn't concern my setup.