[Samba] samber server in openvz container - venet oder veth0?

Birgit Berger (UV Wien) birgit.berger at oeh.univie.ac.at
Fri Aug 10 12:44:33 MDT 2012

sorry, to bother you again.

I cannot join win7 or winXP clients to my samba domain sever located on a
debian server in a VE (openvz) unless I set up the server and clients to
use WINS. But the recommendation is not to use WINS. openvz natively uses
venet. venet makes broadcasting impossible.

I guess DNS is sufficient for name<->IP resolution but not for NetBios
name<->IP resolution (it doesn' know name types and maybe that's why it
cannot find DMB and logon server?) and that's why my win7 and winXP
clients cannot join the domain.

So given my virtual server setup with openvz, do you rather suggest to use
WINS or to set up veth so I can use normal broadcasting?
Or are there other ways to do name resolution with a samba server
installed in a VE container which I oversaw.

I'm a newbie and netbios name resolution is hard to understand. so I would
be very happy to get any suggestions from people already using samba
server in an open vz container.... do you guys use venet or veth or do you
just activate WINS?

birgit

===========================

thank you Johannes. no, I don't really need WINS but it was the only way I
could join clients to the domain so far. so I activated it. DNS should be
available and working too.

/etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this:
hosts: files dns

Can I use venet with samba or should I change to veth?

regards, birgit

Johannes Truschnigg <johannes at truschnigg.info> schreibt:

Birgit Berger

EDV-Administratorin an der ÖH Uni Wien