[Samba] Best way to add samba4 to existing domain

Caleb O'Connell caleb at privacyassociation.org
Wed Aug 8 07:27:29 MDT 2012

The command I used on the new DC that I wanted to join to the existing
domain was.

samba-tool domain join <domain> DC -Uadministrator --realm=<realm name>

This seems to have worked like a charm.  Since I didn't yet have DNS setup
on the new server, I added the servers to my hosts file.

The process to get everything replicated to all servers took a little while,
but now I have three servers (Two samba4 and one win2k3) all in the domain
as Domain Controllers.

> First both  Samba4 dcs must know each other by dns. Do not provision the
> second samba4 as you want it to be in replication mode. Do not start samba
> on your new DC!!
> Then on your new DC: bin/net vampire your.realm. -Uadministrator
> --realm=your.realm
> If this is successful. Start samba on your new DC.
> Go on your 1st DC you setup.
> Now type:   bin/ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb
> objectclass=ntdsdsa objectguid --cross-ncs
> EX result:
>
> # record 1
> dn: CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=NODE1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configur