[Samba] getent group not working

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Wed Aug 8 05:38:39 MDT 2012

On 08/08/12 11:59, steve wrote:
> Hi
> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS client with 3.6.3 joined to the Samba4 AD domain.
> smb.conf
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
> idmap config *:backend=tdb
> idmap config *:range=10000-19999
> idmap config ALTEA:backend=ad
> idmap config ALTEA:range=20000-40000000
>
> getent passwd and wbinfo -u returns all AD users correctly
> wbinfo -g returns all AD groups correctly
> getent group fails. Only local groups are returned.
>
> getent group works OK on the Samba4 DC.
>
> I have disabled firewalls at both ends and torn down apparmor at both
> ends.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi, I am also getting this on Xubuntu 12.04 against a Samba 4 domain,
but 'getent group linuxusers' does return the following info,
linuxusers:x:3000012:
and you can create dirs and files and chgrp them to the domain group.

My smb.conf
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         idmap config * : range = 1100-2000
         idmap config HOME : backend = ad
         idmap config HOME : range = 3000000-3100000
         idmap config HOME : schema_mode = rfc2307

I do not understand why 'getent group' only returns local groups when
'getent group linuxusers' does returns the info.

Rowland

believed to be clean.