[Samba] winbind: uid range is ignored

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Aug 8 01:49:30 MDT 2012

On 08/08/2012 12:35 AM, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> steve wrote:

>>> 3. Use winbind to store the true unixHomeDirectory in AD.
>>>

>> Hi
>> If I store unixHomeDirectory in AD, winbind seems to ignore it. As
>> far as it's concerned, all home directories have to be in template
>> homedir.
>>
>> How would I use winbind to store it? This is why we tend toward 1.
>> nss-ldapd pulls all of rfc2307 from AD. winbind seems to recognise
>> only uidNumber and gidNumber. It doesn't sem to give you any control
>> over login shell and unixHomeDirectory. Everyone has the same shell
>> and homedir.
>>

> Well it's read only, winbind pulls the information from the AD, but
> take  out your template homedir/shell lines from smb.conf and do
> something like
>
>     winbind nss info = rfc2307
>     winbind expand groups = 2
>     winbind nested groups = yes
>     winbind enum users = yes
>     winbind enum groups = yes
>
> Note you can get nested groups this way, something I don't think
> nss-ldapd provides. It does work I have it in production for over 1500
> users right now with some 900 active SMB sessions.

Hi Jonathan
Is that with Samba3 or 4? I just tried it with Samba4 with
unixHomeDirectory in AD. I removed template homedir =, created the user
directory and gave it the correct permissions, but logging in, winbind
tries to create the directory:
  su steve2
Creating directory ''.
Unable to create and initialize directory ''.
su: Permission denied

Cheers,
Steve