[Samba] unable to configure NTP server in samba4

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:35:38 MDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM, deepak prasad <deep27ak at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes I believe so because I think there should be only 5 min of changes
> between the server time and client machine and if the time gap is more my
> clients do not get internet connection, it seems my named server doesnot
> work for them and when I fix the date once again the nameserver starts
> working so I thought building a NTP server would be a good idea

NTP is great. I agree with your implicit assumption that using a good
NTP service is helpful for Samba: The Kerberos authentication
necessary Active Directory style authentication is a vital component
of modern Samba. and it most definitely relies on a good time service
to keep remote hosts in sync. But it's the requirement for a *signed*
NTP service that I'm doubting. But your remote site, and yours should
be able to use publicly available NTP services. unless you really have
some compelling need to keep your NTP service completely private.