[Samba] Problem in sharing printers

Lorenzo Milesi maxxer at ufficyo.com
Mon Aug 6 09:09:43 MDT 2012

Hi.

I've configured a Samba PDC controller on which I've configured a couple of printers using Cups.
I've set up the relevant config according to the documentation, so:

load printers = Yes
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

[print$]
        comment = Printer Drivers
        path = /dati/samba/drivers
        browseable = yes
        guest ok = no
        read only = yes
        write list = root,administrator,"@Domain Admins"
        directory mask = 0775
        create mask = 0775
        directory mask = 0775
        create mask = 0775
        force create mode = 0775
        force directory mode = 6775

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = Yes
        public = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        writable = No
        printable = Yes
        write list = root,administrator,"@Domain Admins"

The problem is that if I browse \\server I get the list of shares, including the two cups printers. If I go into the printer subfolder I see two printers with no name, so when I try to edit properties to upload drivers it complains printer has no name.
Same happens if I go back to server shares' "root" and I try to add the printer, I get asked for the drivers, provide them, then when finishes copyin it complains the printer has no name or it's not on the server anymore.

What could be the problem?
thanks

Lorenzo Milesi - lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it

GPG/PGP Key-Id: 0xE704E230 - http://keyserver.linux.it