[Samba] winbind: uid range is ignored

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 4 13:13:19 MDT 2012

On 04/08/12 20:34, NdK wrote:
> Il 04/08/2012 13:40, steve ha scritto:
>
>>> Too bad my AD controllers are M$ W2k3, w/o rfc2307 extension :( That's
>>> why I'm stuck with rid.
>> Ah I see. I didn't mean to offend.
> No offense perceived :)

Hi
That's good to know it wasn't a misunderstanding.

Most of our LAN uses Linux with only a few m$ boxes. The Samba4 LDAP is
excellent compared to openLDAP, so I guess that's our main priority.

What I _do_ have is is fast mapping via nss-pam-ldapd, where everything
just works. All rfc2307 comes from the directory by default. Anything
you like. loginShell, uinixHomeDirectory. . . On a per user or group
basis. Total flexibility.

In comparison, winbind seems overcomplicated and restrictive (and simply
does not work with either Ubuntu nor openSUSE 3.6.3). It also seems very
restricted in that we have turn off unix attributes and use wide links
so we can symlink to the only available folder for unixHomeDirectory.

Anyway, I've not given up yet, but it really does look like winbind is
past it's sell by date;)

Cheers and thanks for your continued support,
Steve