[Samba] Problem accessing Samba Share from Windows

Carlos R. Pena carlosrpevertsz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 09:28:10 MDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I am using Ubuntu 12.04LTS server running samba server on it.  I have
problem accessing the shares from Windows XP with \\servername\share,
but no problem accessing \\ip\share.  How can i correct this problem?. I
have tried every single example found on google with no good results.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Carlos R. Pena

My smb.conf

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios aliases = editora servidor editdom
    server string = %h (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    map to guest = bad user
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    usershare allow guests = yes

#======================= Share Definitions =======================

[MyShare]
browseable = yes
comment = MyShare on Ubuntu Server
read only = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
public = yes
path = /MyShare

************************* end of smb.conf  file *****************

My server /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1       localhost
1.1.1.1         EditDom-Server.editdom.local    EditDom-Server

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
********************** end of hosts file

My server /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files wins mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files