[Samba] winbind: uid range is ignored

NdK ndk.clanbo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 01:39:09 MDT 2012

Il 03/08/2012 16:21, steve ha scritto:

> That's quite easy in Samba3 but which tdb's must I remove in Samba4? In
> fact, how would I rejoin the DC to itself?
You shouldn't use DCs for anything else other than DC. No file server.
No gateway. *Nothing*. They're a crytical piece of your network
infrastructure and must be as closed as possible.

The NFS server doesn't care about Samba at all: it reveives UIDs adn
GIDs and stores 'em as given. No mapping happens here.

What makes me think you have a *big* misunderstanding about what winbnd
mapping does is this sentence from another message:
> If winbind is doing the mapping correctly it should map 3000027 to
> 3000002
No. Winbind maps back and forth between user *names* (and groups) and
*UIDs* (and GIDs), not between server UIDs and local GIDs ! It doesn't
know if an UID is local or from a server.

So, that means that (given no other kind of access to the NFS server is
allowed) it's enough that all your *clients* use the same mapping
between SIDs and UIDs/GIDs and you're OK. If not, you have a big problem.

You have many ways to obtain that "same mapping" objective. I chose to
use rid 'cause I couldn't modify my AD schema. But the preferred way is
extend AD schema and specify there the UIDs and GIDs.

Hope this helps to clarify.

BYtE,
 Diego.