[Samba] samba-3.5.14 (and less) corrupting AD->UID mappings

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:09:49 MDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Jason Haar <Jason_Haar at trimble.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> We've had three incidents this year where users connected to Samba
> shares (on CentOS systems) and appeared as the incorrect Windows
> account. e.g "dom\user1" would connect, but any files they created would
> be owned by Unix user "dom\user2"

And you're using Samba 3.5.14.... why? The built in Samba is
samba-3.5.10, as published by the upstream vendor, Red Hat. And the
current 3.x release is 3.6.6. By playing with an intermediate and
vendor unsupported version, you expose yourself to all the bugs fixed
in more recent releases, without the vendor support to address any
bugs known to exist in the old version.

If you need 3.6.6, which is the current 3.6 release, check out my SRPM
tools at https://github.com/nkadel/samba-3.6.6-srpm for something that
builds very cleanly and compatibly with RHEL 6 and CentOS 6.