[Samba] 'x' bit always set?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Thu Aug 2 05:50:41 MDT 2012

On 02/08/12 10:09, NdK wrote:
>>>            map hidden = no
>> According to the man page, when "store dos attributes" is set, those
>> should be ignored. But I added 'em anyway.
> Uhm... Seems the man page is contraddictory... In map * says they get
> ignored, in store dos addtibutes it says they should be set to 'no' to
> avoid fallback... Mah!
>
>> This is the result when I put a file via Dolphin's smb:// handler:
> Just to be sure, I now used smbclient:
>
> $ smbclient -U diego.zuccato //str00160-samba/diego.zuccato/
>

> Enter diego.zuccato's password:
>

> Domain=[PERSONALE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]
>

> smb: \>  put index.html
> putting file index.html as \index.html (79,6 kb/s) (average 79,6 kb/s)
> smb: \>  ls
>    .                                   D        0  Thu Aug  2 11:03:44 2012
>    ..                                  D        0  Thu Aug  2 11:03:35 2012
>    index.html                          A      163  Thu Aug  2 11:03:44 2012
>
>                  65535 blocks of size 33553920. 65535 blocks available
>
> But the result is always the same:
> root at str00160-samba:/srv/shared/PERSONALE/diego.zuccato# ls -l
> totale 8
> -rwxrwx---+ 1 diego.zuccato domain_users 163  2 ago 11.03 index.html

That may well be something to do with the way the share is setup or the
way smbclient is operating. I was just noting that you can use extended
attributes to store the DOS attributes and not bother doing any mapping.

Have you verified that you are storing DOS attributes in extended
attributes, something like this on the server

[root at nabak Pictures]# getfattr -d Thumbs.db
# file: Thumbs.db
user.DOSATTRIB=0sMHgyNgAAAwADAAAAEQAAACYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIASVa5FHs0BAAAAAAAAAAA=

Note the lack of "map hidden = no" in my original reply was down to cut
and paste error out of my smb.conf

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.