[Samba] Samba4: net ads join fails: Host is not configured as a member server.

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Thu Aug 2 03:03:13 MDT 2012

> Hi everyone
> I'm trying to join an Ubuntu 12.04 client to a 12.04 Samba4 DC. xp and
> win7 clients can join fine.
>
> Here is my minmal smb.conf
> realm = POLOP.SITE
> workgroup = POLOP
> security = ADS
>
> Kerberos is working:
> kinit Administrator
> Password for Administrator at POLOP.SITE:
>
> But then it tell me that the DC is _not_ a DC:
> net ads join -UAdministrator
> Host is not configured as a member server.
> Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
> Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of
> the domain.
>
> and:
> net ads testjoin
> Failed to open /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
> Join to domain is not valid: Access denied
>
> Can anyone help me tell the Ubuntu client that it really _is_ a DC? Or
> WHY.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
Hi,

The most probable reason is having different versions of samba binaries
installed. Using net ads ... suggests the use of samba3 client tools
installed from packages, the path /usr/local/samba/private/secrets.tdb
suggest a Samba built from source via ./configure && make && make
install (which corresponds to a Samba4 install)

Regards

Geza Gemes