[Samba] windows-clients only recognize softlimit

Neumann, Jonathan neumann at rg.mpg.de
Wed Aug 1 05:54:48 MDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm running a samba-server (version 3.6.6 from the backports) on a Debian Squeeze System (kernel-version 2.6.32-5-686). The Debian-Server is configured as a member of an Active-Directory (Server 2003).

A samba-share is configured to be the home-drive for the domain-users, I've set up some quotas for this partition.

The problem is that the Windows-Clients only recognize the quota-softlimit and consider the drive as full when the softlimit is reached. This behavior is the same with Windows-XP as with Windows-7 clients.

Here's what I already tried:

Login at a Windows-Client and reach the softlimit of the share, when limit is reached Windows denies to write because partition seems to be full.

SSH-Login as domain-user at the samba-server, exceed the softlimit until hardlimit takes effect - okay.

As root at linux-system mount a home-share with the appropriate user-credentials a cifs/sbm-share, exceed the softlimit until hardlimit takes effect - okay.

Enforce the smb-protocol 2 with "min protocol = smb2, max protocol = smb2" - Has no effect to the quota-behavior.

Set the parameter "strict allocate = yes" (I read about this parameter according to a similar problem) - no effect too.

So linux seems to handle the quotas right, but windows doesn't.

Here's the complete smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = INTERN
realm = INTERN.MPIER.DE
netbios name = SAMBA-TEST
security = ADS
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
template shell = /bin/bash
winbind use default domain = yes
interfaces = 192.168.1.24
bind interfaces only = yes
store dos attributes = yes
map archive = no
map read only = no
max protocol = SMB2
min protocol = NT1
strict allocate = yes

[software]
    comment = Testfreigabe
    path = /srv/software
    read only = no
    admin users = +domänen-admins

[home]
    comment = Home-Laufwerke
    path = /home/%U
    read only = no
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    root preexec = /etc/samba/scripts/mkhomedir.sh %U

And here's the config for the user-quota:

Datenträgerquotas für user neumann (uid 10000):
  Dateisystem                  Blöcke       weich      hart     Inodes     weich    hart
  /dev/mapper/vg_sda3-lv_home    4075248    4194304    5242880      10910        0        0
  /dev/mapper/vg_sda3-lv_srv      16276          0          0          2        0        0

I appreciate all your help and suggestions.
Kind regards,
Jonathan