[Samba] SMBD Crash

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Apr 28 17:31:08 MDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 06:35:05PM -0400, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
> Yes, version 3.0.28-apple which ships with 10.6.8.
>
> Apple so far has been useless in trying to solve this. I have Redhat
> machines with later versions and have not had the problem reported.
>
> Best I can tell it has to do with our software accessing the
> registry repeatedly and finally SMBD falls over. This only with a
> Windows 7 box
> as I can run XP all day without issue doing the same access to the
> registry. I'm almost sure it accessing the registry going by what I
> see in packet traces.
> (DCERPC Bind ...... is the packet that shows a fault and the daemon
> terminates and another SMBD picks the session up like nothing
> happened.)

Well we have updated our RPC implementation significantly
since 3.0.28, but unfortunately for religious reasons Apple
refuses to ship versions of Samba after 3.0.x.

Unless you can reproduce with the 3.5.x or 3.6.x series
of Samba I'm afraid we can't help, only Apple can help.
3.0.x has been out of support from the Samba Team for
many years now. It's one of the costs of lock-in from
a proprietary vendor I'm afraid.

Jeremy.