[Samba] trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

clinton propst clintonpropst at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 08:40:31 MDT 2012

Tcpdump from 2008 (works) and XP (not working) are different.  I noticed 2008 and windows 7 (working) smbclients keep all SMB traffic between the smbclient and smbserver while XP and 2000 (not working) communicate SMB traffic between SMBserver and AD server as well as SMBserver and SMBclient.  TCP dump from Samba server below:

2008 (working)
smbclient SMBnegprot (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBnegprot (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBsessionsetupX (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SRV _ldap...  and A  lookup -> DNS
DNS -> smbserver
smbserver -> AD
AD -> smbserver
smbserver SMBsesssetupX (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBtconX (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtconX (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBtrans2 (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbclient SMBtrans2 (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtrans2 (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbserver SMBtrans2 (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBntcreateX (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBntcreateX (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbserver SMBwriteX (REQUEST) -> smbclient
smbserver SMBwriteX (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBreadx (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBntcreateX (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBclose (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBclose (REPLY) -> smbclient

XP (Not working)
smbclient SMBnegprot (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBnegprot (REPLY) -> smbclient
smbclient SMBsessionsetupX (REQUEST) -> smbserver
smbserver SRV _ldap...  and A  lookup -> DNS
DNS -> smbserver
smbserver -> AD
AD -> smbserver
smbserver SMBnegprot (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBnegprot (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBsessionsetupX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBsessionsetupX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtconX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBtconX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBntcreateX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBntcreateX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtdis (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBtdis (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBnegprot (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBnegprot (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBsessionsetupX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBsessionsetupX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtconX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBtconX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBntcreateX (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBntcreateX (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBtdis (REQUEST) -> AD
AD SMBtdis (REPLY) -> smbserver
smbserver SMBsesssetupX (REPLY) -> smbclient.menandmice-lpm
smbclient.univ-appserver -> smbserver.http
smbserver.http -> smbclient.univ-appserver