[Samba] nmbd eats cpu for breakfast after upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6

Ander Punnar ander.punnar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 01:59:45 MDT 2012

Hello.

I have Samba 3.6.4 with LDAP backend
with domain logons enabled.

Long time I was running 3.5.1? from
Debian Squeeze backports without any problems.

Few days ago I decided (after testing) to upgrade
to 3.6.4, also from Debian backports.

Next morning nobody could login
and nmbd was eating up a enitre cpu core.
Killing nmbd with -9 and restarting samba
solved the problem.

Same happened again next day.
It could be machine related, since this problem
didin't come up in test environment with identical machine
and network configuration.

And yes, network connectivity was okay.
I have had problems with nmbd in the past
when network connectivity at least for one interface
disappears, but this time this wasn't issue.

Any ideas?

PS. Since this issue occurred on production machine
and I have low loglevel on it, I can't provide
any extra details, yet.