[Samba] SerNet has created an open source Samba4 appliance for early testing

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Apr 13 06:56:40 MDT 2012

Hi,

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13.04.2012 12:49, Michael Adam wrote:
> >The Samba Team is working towards getting a Version 4.0 released.
> >
> >In oder to ease testing of the Active Directory features of
> >Samba4, even for people who don't want to download and compile
> >the source code, SerNet (http://www.sernet.de/) has created a
> >software appliance based on current Samba master snapshots.
>
> By pure coincidence (and because it was announced at cebit) I downloaded
> that appliance yesterday and took it for a first test drive.
> First problem: I can't change /etc/resolv.conf, neither as user sernet
> nor as user root nor from a grml-cd. And as the dns resolving is wrong,
> I can't access the appliance from anything but the (virtual) local gui.
> And I can't install/update other packages.
> Which leaves me rather clueless with the whole package...
>
> Any advice?

First: For such questions you should probably first ask @sernet
first, unless you are certain it is a pure samba issue.
But as this might hit several people:

The new version uploaded later yesterday offers to configure
a dns forwarde in the "dcpromo" dialogue. This should leave
your dns setup much more useful without the need to change
resolv.conf. (This feature was not available in upstream samba
for the first version of the appliance. Now it is... :-)

The reason you can't modify the resolv.conf is that the dcpromo
makes it immutable with "chattr +i", in order to prevent it from
being overwritten (by e.g. dhcp). If you need to change it, you
can use "chattr -i" to remove the immutable attribute.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de