[Samba] Adding idmap backend = idmap_rid... and possible consequences

bakytn bakytn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:51:57 MDT 2012

I have Linux machine with Samba 3.5.11 working great.

I was using passdb backend = tdbsam

So when I tried to setup a second Linux machine I failed..since UID/GID's
were different
when I copied fiels from server 1 to server 2.

Would you recommend me to use IDMAP_RID with Winbind?

BTW, I don't have domain trusts (which is required to be "off" when using
rid).

It's a small domain with about 300 users at the very maximum.

So if I just add

idmap backend = idmap_rid:DOMAIN=2000-100000000

What would change? Would it mess my current UID/GID's???

Here is my smb.conf (global section)
[global]
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
   preferred master = no

   server string = SAMBA
   security = ADS
   encrypt passwords = yes
   log level = 1
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000

   idmap uid = 3000-20000
   idmap gid = 3000-20000
   template shell = /bin/bash

   winbind enum groups = yes
   winbind enum users = yes
   winbind separator = +
   winbind use default domain = Yes
   winbind nested groups = Yes

   template homedir = "/data/files/%U"

   syslog = 0

   passdb backend = tdbsam

   obey pam restrictions = yes

   unix password sync = yes

   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

   pam password change = yes

   map to guest = bad user

   usershare allow guests = yes