[Samba] UID/GID mapping consistency across at least two Linux machines

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Apr 10 11:14:50 MDT 2012

On 10/04/12 18:45, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:

> On 04/10/12 12:29, steve wrote:
>> On 09/04/12 21:00, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
>>> On 04/09/12 13:11, bakytn wrote:
>>
> Winbind mapping should not be necessary on domain controllers, except if
> you have domain trusts.  I have ldap backend so my LDAP users have both
> unix and samba attributes.
That's what we have too.
>     Samba member servers are a little
> trickier, when settings permissions from a Windows client.  The server
> does need some sort of idmap to connect the samba account to the local
> unix account.
But you wouldn't need local accounts for network users would you? Or at
least we don't. They can use either a windows client or a Linux client.
None of them are attached to any box locally.  All the windows and linux
data is stored centrally in LDAP. The windows clients pull the sid and
whatever else they need and the Linux clients use nss-ldapd to
automagically pull the 2307 stuff that they need. Having said that, this
is quite a simple setup of a heterogeneous lan under 3.6. If the post is
about 2 or more linux machines then that ought to do it I think.
Cheers,
Steve