[Samba] Samba 4 KVNO mismatch - Failure to join AD domain (Windows & Freenas)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 5 16:45:08 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 01:38 +0300, George Diamantopoulos wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > George,
> >
> > Sadly I don't follow the freeNAS bug tracker as part of my daily work.
> > If you or anyone suspects a Samba issue, then raise it in our bugzilla
> > or on these lists (samba-technical is better for Samba4, at least until
> > we release).
> >
> > If you can tell me what *exactly* you think is wrong - by example of
> > Samba4 and Windows 2008 (available for free download), I'll happily fix
> > it.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Bartlett                                http://samba.org/~abartlet/
> > Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org
> >

> Andrew,
>
> I really can't say much more other than what's already in the ticket
> ("[...] samba 4 puts the unique 'netbios' identifier in the 'cn'
> attribute, not the 'nETBIOSName' attribute [...]"). The reason why I
> believe I've run into this bug is that I'm getting an error with a
> reference to "nETBIOSName" upon opening the CIFS configuration panel
> on FreeNAS.
>
> I would post this on samba-technical, but I have very little
> understanding of the internals so I think it would be more of a
> nuisance than helping out the project. However, if you believe
> otherwise, I'd be happy to do so.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but please tell me
 - exactly on which ldap object
 - exactly the difference between us and Windows

Please do that by showing the comparative output of

 ldbsearch -H ldap://sambadc -s base -b <problem DN> -Uadmin%pass
 ldbsearch -H ldap://windowsdc -s base -b <problem DN> -Uadmin%pass

I'm sorry, but what is clear to you is not clear to me, and the
specifics will help us fix the bug, and write a test to ensure it does
not re-occur.

On where to post, posting to this list is a good way to have your
concerns lost in the flood of discussion.  While we wait for our first
release, we handle Samba4 AD issues on the samba-technical list to
ensure they are seen and handled.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett