[Samba] Samba 4 KVNO mismatch - Failure to join AD domain (Windows & Freenas)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 5 16:17:05 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 01:08 +0300, George Diamantopoulos wrote:

> That might have been the case, after all. FreeNAS AD Web Config has a
> non-intuitive field called "Host Name (NetBIOS-Name)" where I put
> ADPDC in at first, then changed it to freenas. I've reinstalled
> everything on clean VMs now and it seems to be working.
>
> User authentication on computers I had previously joined to the domain
> however is a little tricky now (for example, I need to explicitly set
> NT style domain in the username field such as SYNDOM\Administrator in
> order for login to work), but I've been changing so many settings I
> might have caused this. I guess I'll have to reinstall Windows on
> them. When FreeNAS authenticates, I get "Selected protocol [8][NT
> LANMAN 1.0]" on the samba4 console, and freenas logs print "freenas
> freenas: Using short domain name -- SYNDOM".
>
> On a side note, isn't the samba4 server supposed to join itself to the
> AD domain when running the provision script? At least that's what I
> get on STDOUT after running provision...
>
> It now seems I've run into this bug, though:
> http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1135 (which has a won't fix status
> from FreeNAS devs). It's a pity because samba4 and FreeNAS integration
> can prove very useful in some situations.
> There are not many references to this online, however. I think I
> spotted a discussion somewhere between a samba developer (I can't
> remember who it was) and a user (not sure either) where it was
> mentioned that it's most probably a samba 3/4 incompatibility issue
> and that it wouldn't be too hard to fix. Unfortunately I have been
> unable to find more information on this matter, and whether this .

George,

Sadly I don't follow the freeNAS bug tracker as part of my daily work.
If you or anyone suspects a Samba issue, then raise it in our bugzilla
or on these lists (samba-technical is better for Samba4, at least until
we release).

If you can tell me what *exactly* you think is wrong - by example of
Samba4 and Windows 2008 (available for free download), I'll happily fix
it.

Andrew Bartlett