[Samba] Samba4 high cpu load[SOLVED]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Apr 5 01:39:47 MDT 2012

On 05/04/12 00:55, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 April 2012 15:33:46 steve wrote:
>> OpenSUSE 12.1
>> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-7290a62
>>
>> Upon starting, s4 burns the CPU for around 5 minutes:
>>
>>     PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>
>>    3672 root      20   0 72780  20m 2388 R 95.4  1.1   0:36.84 samba
>>
>> After which all is well. Maybe this is just openSUSE as on Ubuntu it's
>> less than 5 minutes (but still there).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>
> Further investigation showed that pkcs11 was using the gnome-keyring module
>     /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so
> This module was also displaying the strange string "WARNING! no socket to connect to"
> (see also /etc/pkcs11/modules/* )
> Btw - i'm running KDE here.
>
> I de-installed gnome-keyring and most pkcs11 related stuff - and the s4 hang
> was gone!  :-)
>
> It already took me a lot of time those days - so i did no further investigations ...
> Possibly it's enough to only de-install gnome-keyring.

Excellent observations. I can confirm that both Gnome-keyring _and_ the
pkcs11 packages have to be removed.

The 5 minute delay in startup is now down to 2 seconds and the 'no
socket to connect to' message has gone too. I can live with that:-)

Are we losing anything (on a server) by not having the stuff we've
removed? I don't think so.
Thanks for the help.
Steve