[Samba] Samba4 high cpu load

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Wed Apr 4 16:55:01 MDT 2012

On Wednesday 04 April 2012 15:33:46 steve wrote:
> OpenSUSE 12.1
> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-7290a62
>
> Upon starting, s4 burns the CPU for around 5 minutes:
>
>    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>
>   3672 root      20   0 72780  20m 2388 R 95.4  1.1   0:36.84 samba
>
> After which all is well. Maybe this is just openSUSE as on Ubuntu it's
> less than 5 minutes (but still there).
>
> Any ideas?
> Cheers,
> Steve

when i had upgraded to opensuse 12.1 some months ago, i also noticed a
3 to 5 minutes hang with high CPU usage when samba4 was starting.
S4 was started interactively with some debug info as
   ./sbin/samba -i -M single -d3
and before the hang a strange message
   "WARNING! no socket to connect to"
was displayed.

Running s4 inside gdb showed the hang during startup of the internal ldap service.
The CPU was "hard working" inside "the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library"
  /usr/lib/libgmp.so.10

Further investigation showed that pkcs11 was using the gnome-keyring module
   /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so
This module was also displaying the strange string "WARNING! no socket to connect to"
(see also /etc/pkcs11/modules/* )
Btw - i'm running KDE here.

I de-installed gnome-keyring and most pkcs11 related stuff - and the s4 hang
was gone!  :-)

It already took me a lot of time those days - so i did no further investigations ...
Possibly it's enough to only de-install gnome-keyring.

It should be noted, that samba4 is still inside its startup sequence when that hang occurs,
not all modules have been initialized, so s4 is not able to operate properly at all during
that (3 - 5 minutes) hang state!

Cheers, Günter