[Samba] Samba LDAP Failover

Stephan steffo76 at gmx.de
Mon Apr 2 11:12:45 MDT 2012

Am 02.04.2012 07:43, schrieb Massimiliano Perantoni:
> Hi,
>
>> the distribution is a Debian 6 but I compiled samba myself against a self
>> compiled openldap 2.4.26.
>
> Actually the only difference is the openldap client libraries version,
> I do use 2.3 instead of 2.4, but using getent, as I stated before,
> works...
>
> If I do getent passwd I get, with the failure, the immediate list of
> local users and, after a timeout, I get the users list from the
> secondary LDAP.
> I guess that nscd is working or, at least, the service is up and
> running: never understood how does the system decide to use it or
> not...
> For what I know if I disable the service nothing changes, so that I do
> not know if nscd is working or not...
> If I stop the LDAP I get the failover with getent, but I have to wait
> for the timeout set in ldap.conf.

I honestly don't know what's going on there. I just wanted to make sure
that at getent is really working and doesn't just look that way because
nscd masks the problem.

I guess your secondary 389 server doesn't show a connection attempt in
the log when you simulate the failure of your first server ? You wrote
that you don't use ssl - is this also true in ldap.conf ?