[Samba] win password sync works, smbpasswd fails

Stefan Froehlich Stefan at froehlich.priv.at
Wed Sep 28 03:38:36 MDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:20:10AM +0200, Stefan Froehlich wrote:
> When I try to assign a new password via smbpasswd (or create a new
> user, which causes the real problem), /etc/shadow is updated properly
> (unix logins are possible), but users CANNOT login with windows
> anymore (though the timestamp of passdb.tdb is updated, so smbpasswd
> DOES something there).

Perhaps I'll supply an experiment do illustrate this:

unix login works with password foo
windows login works with password foo

herkules:~# pdbedit -L -w sfroehli
[returns hash value FOO]

Changing password from within windows to bar

herkules:~# pdbedit -L -w sfroehli
[returns hash value BAR]

unix login works with password bar
windows login works with password bar

herkules:~# smbpasswd sfroehli
[assign password foo]
herkules:~# pdbedit -L -w sfroehli
[returns hash value FOO]

unix login works with foo
windows login does NOT work (neither with foo nor with bar)

herkules:~# smbpasswd sfroehli
[assign password bar]
herkules:~# pdbedit -L -w sfroehli
[returns hash value BAR]

unix login works with password bar
windows login works with password bar

Changing password from within windows to foo

herkules:~# pdbedit -L -w sfroehli
[returns hash value FOO]

unix login works with password foo
windows login works with password foo

I think this covers all possible transitions - and still completely
puzzles me.

Bye,
Stefan