[Samba] Need help getting colour printing features restricted to a specific group

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Thu Sep 29 15:07:30 MDT 2011

On 9/29/11 1:44 PM, "Christ Schlacta" <lists at aarcane.org> wrote:
> On 9/29/2011 13:17, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Gary
> Greene
> <ggreene at minervanetworks.com>  wrote:
>> I¹ve got a Ricoh
> multi-function printer/copier that I need to restrict the
>> colour printing
> functions to only members of the @ColorPrinting group. I¹ve
>> two print
> queues for the Ricoh, one colour, one not. Unfortunately, even
>> users on the
> B&W queue can change the colour settings on the print dialog in
>> Windows and
> bypass the restriction and prints in colour.
> Never thought about trying such
> a thing, but maybe editing the PPD of
> the "B&W" printer so that it mimics a
> similar non-color capable
> printer and therefore doesn't offer color
> options.
>
> Chris
Perhaps the proper approach is "severe administrative
> penalties"
accompanied by logging.  IE: "You're not allowed to print in
> colour, if
you print in colour anyway, you'll get sanctioned, then fired".
> If
that's not an option, I think ppd hacking might be the best option.
instructions:
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

Problem is that the queue is set B&W in the CUPS config (just tested this
from the SuSE box acting as the print server, however I think that the raw
option for the -o raw is the culprit here on the print command option line
for lpr-cups. Do Samba shared printers require this option?

Unfortunately, my boss is not giving me the option of this being resolved
through a non-tech solution. Either I find a way to block this, or I have to
move printing back to a Windows Server 2003 box and then screw over all the
Mac and Linux workstation users here that cannot use the enforced Windows
print driver security settings.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sr. Systems Administrator