[Samba] Samba4 and sysvol share

felix at epepm.cupet.cu felix at epepm.cupet.cu
Wed Sep 28 13:57:26 MDT 2011

> Definitely that is where your login scripts and so forth are or the
> general
> place that you are suppose to put them.  I've got to go do some work over
> at
> a place I have a Samba4 PDC setup tomorrow.
>
> Did you mess with the permissions or don't recall?  Was it like that when
> you installed?
>
> I wouldn't allow Everyone to have access.  Go the Authenticated Users
> route
> or maybe Domain Users with read/execute permissions.  I'll check all the
> different users on it tomorrow for ya and drop back a line to this thread
> though.  There might be a phantom User that only Samba knows about that is
> listed there that might be specific to your install.
>
> It would be nice if someone chimed in here, have been wondering about
> that... ;)
>
> Chris

Hi Chris:
It's a recent test installation using Samba4 alpha 17 tar. I have done
nothing with the permissions. I haven't even touched smb.conf.
I was browsing the content of sysvol in my Samba4 server with a domain
user I created and then I tried deleting a file and I could do it, tried
with the whole content of sysvol and I could delete all. Then I
reinstalled samba and tried again with a new domain user, and could do it
again.

The permission on a Windows 2003 server are as shown below and you're
right only authenticated users should have read and execute permissions.
But I tried with a windows client in a virtual pc against a real windows
2003 server and surprisingly I could list the content of sysvol in spite
of this virtual pc not being a member of the windows 2003 server domain.
That's why I suggested that may be it would be ok to allow everyone read
and execute permissions.