[Samba] Slow Directory Access after upgrade to 3.5.6

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:07:59 MDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Dale Schroeder <
dale at briannassaladdressing.com> wrote:

> If you wish for your Samba system to be the domain master browser, then use
>
>    domain master = Yes
>
>    preferred master = Yes
>    local master = Yes
>    os level = 99    # (65 or higher)
>
> That might solve your master browser error messages.  See
> http://lists.samba.org/**archive/samba-technical/2000-**June/008259.html<http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2000-June/008259.html>
>
> Another suggestion here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/**samba@lists.samba.org/**msg61180.html<http://www.mail-archive.com/samba@lists.samba.org/msg61180.html>

Dale,
Thank you to you too for the thoughtful response.
I've incorporated both your suggestions for now and want to see if the users
report any difference.

domain master = yes
local master = yes
## preferred master = yes
## os level = 99

I've restarted both the nmbd and smbd daemons but the /var/log/samba.nmbd
log continues to report:

[2011/09/26 15:31:19.673919,  0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:350(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name MW<1b> for the workgroup MW.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2011/09/26 15:46:20.163072,  0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:350(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name MW<1b> for the workgroup MW.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2011/09/26 16:01:22.148946,  0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:350(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name MW<1b> for the workgroup MW.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

However, it may be that I need to do a killall to remove stray .pid's
I didn't want to do so while all the users were still logged in and working.