[Samba] Samba for Mac OS X

Hoover, Tony hoover at sal.ksu.edu
Tue Sep 20 07:39:59 MDT 2011

Samba is not a protocol.  SMB is the protocol, and the protocol is "owned"
by Microsoft.  Samba is an open source package that implements a SMB server.

It doesn't matter what kernel, or OS you are using, you can build Samba from
the source code to run on your platform.  As for the front-end... have you
ever thought of learning about text config files?  (seriously, there are
some other front-ends such as SWAT and webmin.  They, however, don't
integrate with Aqua, but they should be usable)
Of course, those steps are only necessary if you want to share resources
from your Mac with the rest of your network.  I don't believe the existing
CIFS (SMB client in the kernel) client has gone away in OSX 10.7.

Tony Hoover, Network Administrator
KSU - Salina, College of Technology and Aviation
(785) 826-2660

"Don't Blend in..."