[Samba] Clearcase, Samba, and mnode values

Kathy banshee135 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:26:24 MDT 2011

>> It looks to me like I have a memory leak, and IBM is blaming Samba,
>
> Main question is: Do the smbd processes really consume all
> that memory?

I did see smbd processes increase in memory over time, but since I
have never monitored smbd this closely before, I'm not sure if this is
normal or not.  I was doing the following memory test every hour and I
was seeing a general trend up in RSS size.

ps -e -o user,pid,rss,args | sort -b -k3,3n | awk '{print
$1,$2,$3,$4}' | tail -n 20 >> /var/log/memory_usage.log

Here are a couple of smbd pids that were increasing over time, showing
the trend I was seeing.  There were multiple smbd (typically around
18-20) running at the time.

       PID  RSS
root 9402 4176 smbd
root 9402 5364 smbd