[Samba] Samba4 alpha17 GIT raise domain functional level

a.key a.key at jadu.net
Tue Sep 6 05:53:32 MDT 2011

Hi.
We are using samba4 as our production AD for a while in a mixed (XP,
win2k3, win7, win2k8) environment.
This post:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-February/076525.html
mentions that to raise the functional level one should use this command:

samba-tool domainl evel raise --domain=2008 --forest=2008

but in our current git version this command doesn't work due to the fact
that there is no --domain switch as shown below:

# samba-tool domain level --help
Usage: samba-tool domain level (show | raise <options>)

   -h, --help            show this help message and exit
   -H URL, --URL=URL     LDB URL for database or target server
   --quiet               Be quiet
   --forest=FOREST       The forest function level (2003 | 2008 | 2008_R2)

   Samba Common Options:
     -s FILE, --configfile=FILE
                         Configuration file
     -d DEBUGLEVEL, --debuglevel=DEBUGLEVEL
                         debug level
     --option=OPTION     set smb.conf option from command line
     --realm=REALM       set the realm name

   Credentials Options:
     --simple-bind-dn=DN
                         DN to use for a simple bind
     --password=PASSWORD
                         Password
     -U USERNAME, --username=USERNAME
                         Username
     -W WORKGROUP, --workgroup=WORKGROUP
                         Workgroup
     -N, --no-pass       Don't ask for a password
     -k KERBEROS, --kerberos=KERBEROS
                         Use Kerberos
     --ipaddress=IPADDRESS
                         IP address of server

   Version Options:
     --version           Display version number

and when I'm trying to raise the forest level the tools says that the
domain functional level needs to be raised first.

What's the proper way of raising the functional level in recent git is ?

Regards
Arek