[Samba] GPFS and Windows file attributes

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Fri Sep 2 15:45:13 MDT 2011

I was reviewing the GPFS VFS module this afternoon after I had a request
to add Thumbs.db to the hide files option.

Now I was under the impression that the GPFS VFS module mapped this
through to the Windows attributes on the under lying file system. That
is assuming that your GPFS file system is sufficiently recent to support
Windows attributes.

I did some experimentations with a Terminal Server 2008 and Terminal
Server 2003 R2 client against a CTDB RHEL Samba 3.5.4 with a VFS_GPFS
module loaded against GPFS 3.4.0.5 and indeed setting the hidden
attribute using Windows shows no change when I do mmlsattr -L on the file.

Turning the debug level up to 10 shows lots of errors of the form

get_ea_dos_attributes: Badly formed DOSATTRIB on file .....
ndr_pull_error(2): Bad switch value 39392 for r at
../librpc/den_ndr/ndr_xattr.c:286

After some poking around it looks to me that 3.5.9 might have a bug fix
for me. At least I see in the release notes I see BUG 8016: Fix
gpfs_get_xattr, though I am not entirely sure how this would effect the
failure to set it.

I also took a look at Samba 3.6.0 and first off noticed that the
vfs_gpfs manual page seems to have sprouted more information. I tried
adding in gpfs:winattr = yes to smb.conf and restarting ctdb on all the
nodes but this made no difference.

I also notice that in 3.6.0 the GPFS module seems to have sprouted a hsm
feature to report offline status of HSM'ed files back to the windows
client based on the GPFS_WINATTR_OFFLINE attribute.

I also spied in the 3.6.0 source what looks like a vfs_gpfs_hsm_notify
module, but there is no manual page for it. Looking at the code it would
appear to me to send notify returns back to the windows client if the
file is moved offline, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

The release notes for 3.6 make no mention of these new features of the
vfs_gpfs module.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.