[Samba] Auto creation of home directories on Samba-3.5.4(CentOS 6) using PAM authenticating via ADS

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Thu Sep 1 09:34:09 MDT 2011

From: Derek Cordeiro <cordeiroderek at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:17:43 +0530

> I have installed samba 3.5.4 on Centos 6 and have set it up to
> authenticate to a Windows 2008 Domain Controller. When I do a "su -
> some-domain-user", the home directory gets created. However, I want
> the home directory to be created when a user accesses the samba
> shares(no shell access). Following are the relevant configurations.
> What are the PAM changes I need to make? Help is much appreciated.

I met same problem with Samba 3.5.6 on Squeeze. A workaround is to use
"root preexec" instead of pam_mkhomedir or "pam_winbind.so mkhomedir",
both of which do not work as far as I examined.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-February/161118.html

At least Debian lenny and CentOS 5.4, pam_mkhomedir worked.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>