[Samba] Samba4 replacing existing Win2003 AD/DC - possible?

Jeppe Winther Larsen jwl at isynet.net
Thu Oct 27 02:27:51 MDT 2011

Hi there

I am working on deploying Samba4 as domain controller and AD replacement in an organisation. Yes, I know it is risky being in alpha, but we accept the risks. Setting up a new domain and joining it from Windows clients works very well, but that will require every client to join a new domain, and if that could be avoided it would be great. I am thinking of instead let Samba4 join the existing domain as a DC using the steps described in http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
What I want to know, is whether or not it would be possible to then shutdown the Windows 2003 server and let the new Samba4 be the only DC for the domain, so we avoid creating a new domain for everyone to join, but simply moving everything to a new server.

Does anybody know if this is even possible with Samba4?

Thanks in advance,

- Jeppe Larsen
isynet|net