[Samba] Win7pro can't authenticate dcom identity

Chris Perry outtascope at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 05:28:40 MDT 2011

I have a Samba 3.4.7 PDC set up (Ubuntu 10.10/OpenLDAP) and have configured
a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit workstation as a domain member.  Logins and shares
work without a hitch.

I'm running into a problem with ArcGIS 10 Server on Windows using domain
accounts for the services.  ArcGIS post-install fails because it won't take
the username/password combination of the domain account.  I initially
thought this was an ArcGIS problem, but looking at the Samba logs, I find
"check_ntlm_password: sam authentication for user [ArcGISSOC] FAILED with
error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" entries whenever I try to configure the
service.

ArcGISSOC is the user account set up on our domain for the service, it has
both "log on as a service" and "log on as a batch account" privileges, and I
have tried every permutation of settings.

By-passing ArcGIS's installation routines, if I go into dcomcnfg->Component
Services->Computers->My Computer->DCOM Config->ArcSOC on the Windows box and
under Identity, I set the username and password of the domain account, I
get:

The user account or password entered is invalid.  If you entered a domain
account, make sure the name is prefixed with the domain name.

Which, of course, it is.  I select the user by hitting the browse button to
make sure it is resolving correctly and the password is the same password I
used to log on to the machine.  I believe that this error is the cause of
the ArcGIS post-installation failure.

I have scoured for a couple of days now trying to find a cause for this and
I have come up empty.  Is this a Samba error, or a Windows 7 configuration
problem, or simply my own stupidity?  We have had this working on older
versions of Windows/ArcGIS.

Everything else works as expected, is there something weird about the way MS
DCOM authenticates for the identity?  Anyone who can shed some light on this
for me would have my eternal gratitude.

Thanks,

Chris