[Samba] 3.x build and 'net ads join' no longer work in 3.6.0

Darren Kinley dkinley at mda.ca
Sat Oct 22 09:16:48 MDT 2011

Hi Lars,

I tried this with success using my 3.4.2 build but failure using my 3.6.0
build (both buillt
on the same server and using the same configure options).

Using Wireshark I was able to see that the two builds differ in their SMB
negotiation and specifically
in their handling of authentication info. I don't know the protocol stack;
it appears that one offers
the credentials up front while the other leaves the same fields blank
(domains, usernames, IDs)
but offers the same details later in the packet (or exchange) in the form of
options.

I'm not sure if this different behavior in is due to my error or it is an
intentional refinement to the
software/protocol that my 2008 R2 servers can't handle.

I was hoping that someone might have some insight to my observations but
there has been no
response so far and I'm about to try other variants; 3.6.1 and 3.6.1 with
Heimdal Kerberos.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Darren