[Samba] XP machine wont join domain

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:43:10 MDT 2011

On 10/20/2011 09:08 PM, zoolook wrote:
> 2011/10/20 Lachlan Musicman<datakid at gmail.com>
>
>> that 'only root can add a machine to a domain'.
>>

> or any user in "admin users = "
>
> Regards,
> Norberto

When I went from samba 3.4.x to 3.5.x  I started having problems adding
new machines to the domain.   If the machine name had previously been
used, I didn't have problems.    This was with Solaris 10, with the
Oracle/Sun provided Samba packages, with an LDAP backend for unix and
samba accounts.  Unix accounts for machines are manually created before
adding the machine to the domain.   Some fields in LDAP were not being
created when I joined the machine (as the domain Admin on the XP
machine)  or used "smbpasswd" (as root on the samba server.)

The solution, after looking at how existing XP machine accounts were
defined:

#smbpasswd -a -m newmachine

Then with apache directory studio (or another LDAP editor)  add the
following entry to new machine's account
         type:      sambaPrimaryGroupSID
         value:    S-1-5-21-xxxxx-yyyyy-zzzzz-515

where S-1-5-21-xxxxx-yyyyy-zzzzz is the domain sid, and 515 is the
"domain computers" well known group RID.