[Samba] Samba, OpenLDAP and Passwords

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Sat Oct 15 04:30:13 MDT 2011

From: Francesco Storti <francesco.storti at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:46:13 +0200

(snip)

> If I want to permit that a user can change his LDAP userPassword and align
> it to the SambaNTPassword, I have seen that I can do it by using the
> smbk5pwd overlay and pam_password exop.
> But I do not know a method for using the existing LDAP userPassword for
> Samba authentication: I do not want that all the users have to redefine
> their passwords.
> Someone of you knows a way for doing that?

It's impossible as well as Samba cannot use password information via
/etc/passwd. Because the password encryption method using Windows and
Unix is completely different.

One exception is that Samba still use /etc/passwd using "encrypt
passwords = no" which means using plain text password between Windows
and Samba.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>