[Samba] samba 3.60 vs Windows 7 and a PDC replacement

Michael da Silva Pereira michael at tradepage.co.za
Wed Oct 12 13:28:33 MDT 2011

Hi,

I am scratching my hair a bit with a situation to replace a Windows SBS with
something more usable and less rubbish :)

I have 2 basic queries:
1.) With samba 3.60 do I still need to the registry hack on windows 7 to
join the domain?
2.) Could I simple kill the SBS box, and advertise my smb as the existing
domain. (Obviously creating the same users, and possibly manually adding all
the computers to the domain).

It's a very big network and going to a few hundred machines doing a reg
hack, and then joining a domain and copying profiles is just not an option
at this stage :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Michael da Silva Pereira