[Samba] Adding a machine acount

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 12 05:33:53 MDT 2011

Hi,

I migrated from an MS NT Domain to a samba3 domain some time back. I
forgot about a couple of machines and am trying to add them. These are
Buffalo NAS workstations so are basically *nix machines with a web
interface. I have not had to add any machines to the domain from the
samba PDC before. This is what I've done. I tried to add the machine
using it's web interface but it failed and I noticed these errors in
the sambaPDC logs:

[2011/10/12 10:28:49.106714,  0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:475(get_md4pw)
  get_md4pw: Workstation FOOBAR$: no account in domain
[2011/10/12 10:28:49.106886,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:692(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate2: failed to get machine password for
account FOOBAR$: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[2011/10/12 10:28:49.118230,  0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:475(get_md4pw)
  get_md4pw: Workstation FOOBAR$: no account in domain
[2011/10/12 10:28:49.118312,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:692(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate2: failed to get machine password for
account FOOBAR$: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

The machine didn't seem to be in the ldap backend. So I added it with
`smbldpa-useradd -w foobar`. I then went back to the user interface
and tried again. I got the same error. I tried `pdbedit -Lv | grep -i
foobar` and got "Username not found!".

I'm not sure if smbldap tool is not working but I did pdbedit -a -m
FOOBAR$. I tried to get FOOBAR (not real name) to join again and this
time got this error:

[2011/10/12 11:06:20.745128,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:714(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate2: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client LEDA machine account LEDA$
[2011/10/12 11:06:20.753498,  0]
rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:714(_netr_ServerAuthenticate3)
  _netr_ServerAuthenticate2: netlogon_creds_server_check failed.
Rejecting auth request from client LEDA machine account LEDA$

I'm a little lost now. I wouldn't mind if someone can explain or
confirm if I should do smbldap-useradd and pdbedit to add an account
(machine or otherwise) but I'd really appreciate some help resoling
this authentication problem.

Thanks in advance,
Dermot.