[Samba] Force group syntax for multiple groups

Le, Anh anh.le at cognex.com
Fri Oct 7 06:54:27 MDT 2011

Hi Chris,

First of all, thank you very much for reply.

I have the situation here. I want to share a directory (vobstor) which has multiple subdirectories. These subdirectories are owned by different groups. How can I setup the correct permission here in samba so that each group can has the correct access to their files? Below are my smb.conf file. With this configuration a few of groups are not able to read the files but they are able to open the shared location and see the files.  Any idea would be very appreciated.

By the way, our samba server version is 3.5.11 and it is connecting to Windows 2008 R2 AD. I don't have the problem when the samba server is connecting to the Windows 2003 AD.

Thanks
Anh.

[global]

        workgroup = ENGINEERING

        realm = DOMAIN.COM

        preferred master = no

        server string = Samba %v - %h

        security = ADS

        encrypt passwords = yes

        inherit acls = Yes

        nt acl support = yes

        inherit permissions = yes

        debug level = 0

        log file = /var/log/smb.log

        winbind enum users = yes

        winbind enum groups = Yes

        winbind use default domain = Yes

        winbind nested groups = Yes

        winbind separator = +

        ;template primary group = "Domain Users"

#       idmap domains = DOMAIN

        idmap config DOMAIN:backend = ad

        idmap config DOMAIN:default = yes

        idmap config DOMAIN:readonly = yes