[Samba] Access denied on shares, why?

Markku Tavasti tavasti at tavasti.fi
Fri Oct 7 00:49:27 MDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 09:37 PM, Markku Tavasti wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've strange access problem. I'm migrating samba server from Suse to
> Ubuntu, and seems like it won't work like expected. All the time
> problem is that normal users without admin rights can't access shares.
> They can access their own home directories, but not common shares which
> are limited to some groups.

After bit more investigating, looks like group staff is not working.
And in logfile I found this:

[2011/10/06 15:05:30.246626,  3] lib/util_sid.c:228(string_to_sid)
  string_to_sid: Sid @staff does not start with 'S-'.

Apparently this @staff comes from valid users or write list on smb.conf,
but why on earth samba expects to see SID there?

--
M. Tavasti /  tavasti at tavasti.fi  /   +358-40-5078254