[Samba] Linux users and Samba 4

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Nov 30 10:02:48 MST 2011

On 30/11/11 17:46, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 17:37 +0100, steve wrote:
>> On 30/11/11 16:40, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>>> Matthieu,
>>> Certainly true, why not trying to start working on solution on your own,
>>> by doing the first move you have much more insurance that someone else
>>> will help you to make it good for master tree.
>> Well, I'm no developer and only have an old laptop running from a usb
>> memory stick for testing but I've made a start by adding a home
>> directory attribute to Samba 4 user database using phpldapadmin. But now
>> I'm stuck since I don't know where or how the roaming profiles are
>> stored. In Samba 3 there were stored in the /home of the user.
>
> The statement "In Samba 3 there were stored in the /home of the user" is
> false.  They are stored where they are configured to be stored;  we do
> not store profiles in home directories [and generall i think that is a
> bad idea].  Samba4 provisions a shared volume for storing a user's
> roaming profile.
>
> By default something like -
>
>   [profiles]
>         path = /usr/local/samba/var/profiles
>         read only = no
>
> Which is very much the same as S3.
>
>> With AD
>> it seems that they are all be saved in a [profiles] share.
>
> Yes, and the nothing changed there.
>
>> think I understand so I think the solution to single sign on with Samba
>> 4 would be linking the roaming profile to a users /home folder.
>
> No. The roaming profile is the roaming profile, the user's home
> directory is the user's home directory.  You can map a drive to their
> home directory or use folder redirection via policy [just like in
> Samba3].
>
>> the profiles share subfolder the /home folder for Linux. With Samba3 and
>> LDAP, all this was centralised and easy to administer.
>
> I don't know about "easy".  After many years it feels a bit more like cleverly-hacked.
> :)
>
>> would create an LDAP user for you and give him the Samba attributes he
>> needed. It even created his home folder too. It was simple for a linux
>> user to logon to windows and vica versa. Samba 4 takes away this
>> centralisation. It also has the inconvenience of having to use windows
>> to administer the Samba server.
>
> This loss is temporary until the tool-chain catches up to Samba 4 -
> which provides Python bindings, command line tools, and [of course] the
> entire AD RPC approach.
>
>> I feel that Samba dev's have forgotten that Linux clients are just as
>> important as windows clients in the network. They seem to think that
>> Linux is only ever used as a server and clients are only ever windows 7!
>
> Heh, I think the current situation sucks for servers to! :)  But nobody
> has forgotten anything - it is just not there yet.  A simple issue of
> resource constraints.
>
>> Another bit I don't get is where is a file that is created on a windows
> [...]
OK I think I'm getting somewhere.

I have a Samba 3 user who authenticates against LDAP. He has a /home
folder and see his files either from a linux client or from a windows
client.

If I could get an answer to my next question, I'd be there:

Starting from nothing, how would I create a new user under Samba 4 who
could see his files on both windows and Linux clients? Under Samba 4 I
cannot find where his /home folder comes into the equation!

Thanks for your patience.
Steve.