[Samba] Maintain file ownership when writing to share with different owner

Derek Lewis dlewis at mtu.edu
Sun Nov 27 23:11:12 MST 2011

Hello,

I have a question regarding control of file ownership: I have shares accessed by several users belonging to a group though the share is owned by only one of the users. I can force the group id for files written to the share to match the share group though I wondered if I can preserve the file's original owner id (one of the users in the group) if a file is copied from another location?

Related to this question: I am looking for an up to date source of information on using acls.

I have implemented acl and extended attribute support for storing dos file attributes and metadata.